FAQ about Truck Accidents in Billings
Answers you can trust from an experienced personal injury lawyer
Montana truck accident attorney Matthew Braukmann and the rest of our legal team at Braukmann Law, PLLC realize you probably have a lot of questions about your accident. We also understand how hard it can be to find accurate information about truck accidents. That’s why we created this page – so you can get straight answers and make informed decisions.
Below, you’ll find some of the most frequently asked questions about truck accidents. If you don’t see your specific question – or even if you do – please contact us as soon as possible. Every truck accident is different. That’s why Montana truck accident lawyer Matthew Braukmann takes a unique approach to each case. Schedule your free case evaluation today.
What is your truck accident question?
- What should I do after my truck accident in Montana?
- What should I do if the trucking company contacts me after my truck accident?
- What if I cannot reach the trucking company after my truck accident?
- Are trucking companies required to keep truck accident data?
- Are the laws different for truck accidents in Montana?
- Should I accept a settlement offer for my Montana truck accident?
- How much is my Montana truck accident worth?
- What types of compensation can I obtain for my Montana truck accident?
- Can I file a truck accident lawsuit in Montana?
- How long do I have to take legal action after my Montana truck accident?
- Why should I hire a Montana truck accident attorney?
We strongly recommend taking the following steps after your Montana truck accident:
- Seek immediate medical attention. Your health matters the most.
- Contact the police. Ask them to respond. Commercial truck accidents are serious.
- Get the truck driver’s name, address, insurance information and trucking company info.
- Talk to witnesses. If someone saw your crash, get the full name and phone number.
- Take photos of your accident. The more evidence you have, the better.
- Get the investigation police officer’s name and badge number. That way, you can get a copy of your accident report later.
- Contact our law firm. We can help you every step of the way. We work statewide.
You do not have to talk to the truck driver’s trucking company if they contact you after your accident. We also strongly advise not talking to the trucking company after your trucking accident. Anything you say to them could later be used against you to deny your accident claim. With so much money at stake, you cannot afford to take chances with your future.
Let us deal with the trucking company after your truck accident. We know how to track them down. We know what questions to ask and we know what your rights are and how to fight for them. That’s why truck accident victims throughout Montana rely on truck accident attorney Matthew Braukmann to fight for them.
Yes and no. Yes, trucking companies must keep certain data after a truck accident. This includes so-called black box data, which records how many hours the truck driver was driving before the accident, the speed the truck was traveling at the time of the crash and the exact location of the truck at the time of the crash.
Trucking companies do not have to keep this information forever. Depending on what type of information it is, trucking companies only have to keep certain data for a limited amount of time. After that deadline, they can legally destroy such data. That’s why it’s critical that you contact our law firm as soon as possible. We can get straight to work investigating your Montana truck accident. That’s what an experience truck accident lawyer does. We find the facts that matter.
Yes. The laws governing truck accidents are different than the ones governing other motor vehicle accidents. In general, the laws covering Montana truck accidents are federal laws. Many of these rules and regulations were created by the U.S. Department of Transportation and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Our law firm is familiar with all these laws and regulations. We understand how the legal system works in Montana. Let truck accident attorney Matthew Braukmann be your voice for justice.
Always be suspicious when trucking companies, insurance companies or anyone else offers to settle your truck accident case quickly. Often, these companies make an offer to settle such cases quickly because they know your accident-related expenses will likely only increase in the future. If you accept their offer, you will not be able to request additional financial compensation in the future. That could end up costing you a lot of money for your truck accident-related expenses – even though you did nothing wrong.
Every truck accident is different. Some are worth a few thousand dollars. Others may be worth millions. That’s why it’s important to talk to a Montana truck accident lawyer as soon as possible. If you don’t take legal action right away, you could miss out the money you deserve and need for your truck accident-related expenses.
You can seek financial compensation for any truck accident-related expense. Such expenses often include financial compensation for:
- Emergency medical care
- Follow-up surgical procedures
- Physical therapy
- Lost income / replacement income during your recovery
- Lost future income if you cannot return to work
- Home modification costs if you sustain a permanent disability injury in your accident.
- Funeral expenses if a loved one dies in a truck accident.
- Pain and suffering, especially if a loved one dies in a truck accident.
Yes. Often, the best way to obtain the financial compensation you need and deserve for your Montana truck accident is to file a truck accident lawsuit. Attorney Matthew Braukmann knows how the legal system works in Montana. He knows how file a successful truck accident lawsuit. He can help you every step of the way during your court proceeding and trial if necessary.
Two different deadlines apply to lawsuits and other legal action involving truck accidents in Montana. If you or a loved one was hurt or killed in a truck accident in a Montana, you have three years from the date of the truck accident to file a lawsuit. If no one was injured in the accident, you have two years from the date of your property damage truck accident to take legal action.
That might seem like a long time but the longer you wait to file lawsuit or take any other kind of legal action, the tougher your case might be. Evidence can become harder to find. It might even no longer exist. Witness’s memories can fade. Or these people might move away and become difficult to track down. That’s why we strongly urge you to contact Montana truck accident lawyer Matthew Braukmann right away. We can get right to work on your case.
Montana truck accidents can be extremely complicated. If you make a mistake, you could miss out on the money you rightfully deserve for medical bills, lost income and other truck accident-related expenses.
We get it at Braukmann Law PLLC. We know how the legal system works in Montana. We know how to investigation truck accidents and trucking companies. We know how to hold them responsible for their actions – whether it’s through negotiation or filing a truck accident lawsuit and taking them to court.
In addition to truck accident attorney Matthew Braukmann, our law firm employs a full-time nurse who can investigate your truck accident from a medical perspective. This can be very important since there are sometimes disputes about medical expenses or the severity of someone’s injury.
We can fight for your rights every step of the way. We handle cases statewide, so, no matter where your truck accident happened in Montana, we’ll go the extra mile to work with you.